The Hochschule Bochum - Bochum University of Applied Sciences, founded in 1972, is a modern university of applied sciences, specialising in technology and business. Its long tradition of offering academic fast-track, student-centred undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that enjoy an unchallenged reputation in the professional world.
The long-term close links to industry, business, service providers, and many other organisations in the region of the central Ruhrgebiet (Ruhr area) gives the Hochschule Bochum the edge.
Since the professors and lecturers at the Hochschule Bochum all worked for years in their core areas, the university has built and maintains close partnerships with the real world of business and engineering.
This relationship has resulted in research partnerships, joint development projects, and ample opportunities for students. To date the six departments, Architecture, Civil Engineering and Surveying and Geo Computer Science, Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Business and Management offer 23 such undergraduate and postgraduate pathways.
Partner companies often act as the inspiration for applied research and development work at the Hochschule Bochum, raising questions and problems which act as the focus for student theses.
Our students actively participate in industrial research and problem-solving. The Transfer Prizes, donated by prestigious companies from the region (Klaus Steilmann, Adam Opel AG, Siemens AG, VEBA Immobilien, Deutsche Bank AG, HDI, Stadtparfümerie Pieper, Johann Phillipps) are awarded for outstanding student achievement. For many award-winning students, this proven track record of innovation is the key to successful careers.
The Hochschule Bochum is committed to combining their students' development and furthering the innovative spirit as part of its Professional Networking Initiative (Praxisverbund-Initiative). This scheme combines established teaching methods with hands-on industrial experience.
- a practical study semester co-ordinated by the professors.
- a sandwich period integrating work and study in a company (BIS - Business Studies Sandwich course)
- the combined study-training mechatronics course
The Mechatronics course offers a fast track into the world of work for our students as well as revitalising the traditional field of engineering studies.
The Mechatronics course trains engineers in three skills areas: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and information technology. The course has been developed in conjunction with our partner companies in industry, guaranteeing its closeness to current business practice.
In many areas of business, increasing international co-operation has led to new demands on employees. The Hochschule Bochum is committed to preparing its graduates to cope with increasing globalisation as well as being open to the ideas and experiences of the international community in teaching, research, and administration. Building on its extensive range of contacts in Europe, the Americas, and Asia, the Hochschule Bochum is developing a portfolio of international study programmes. Student exchanges with the partner institutions of the Hochschule Bochum are an essential aspect of a graduate's international education.
The Hochschule Bochum is a member of NIBS, the "Network of International Business Schools".
The Hochschule Bochum has an extensive network of international universities and other institutions of higher education. Below you will find just a small selection of long-term partners:
- in France: Université Blaise Pascal (Clermont-Ferrand II), the universities in Nice, Tours and Poitiers, ESC Rennes School of Business, and the Ecole d’Architecture de Nantes
- in Great Britain: Coventry University, Manchester Metropolitan University, Sheffield Hallam University, South Bank University (London), and Staffordshire University.
- in Ireland: the National University of Ireland, Galway
- in Italy: Università degli Studi della Calabria
- in the Netherlands: Hogeschool Midden-Brabant
- in Poland: the Olsztyn University of Agriculture and Technology
- in Romania: the Academy of Economic Studies in Bucharest,
- in Singapore: the Ngee Ann Polytechnic and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- in Spain: three universities in Vigo, Castellon and Madrid
- in the USA: Pfeiffer University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Blacksburg), and the Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, Arizona)
Bochum, population 400,000 approximately, is situated in the heart of the Ruhr, one of the largest and most important urban and industrial areas of Europe. Bochum boasts a wide range of cultural and leisure facilities, offering a quality standard of living. It hosts 5 theatres, 12 museums, the 'Starlight Express' musical, a football stadium and many other amenities. And not to forget RUHR.2010 - where our area is the European Capital of Culture with loads of fantastic cultural events.
On Lennershofstrasse in the city's Green Belt, the Hochschule Bochum can be reached easily by public transport and cars using the close motorway A43. It benefits from its close proximity to technology centre in the Ruhr-University area.