In 2017, a steering group was established, representing all university status groups and engaging on an equal footing in all matters related to the sustainable development of the institution. All members and groups within the university, including students, teaching and research staff, and technical and administrative personnel, are represented through their respective steering group members.
In collaboration with the educational research project "Sustainable University – Strategy, Implementation, Networking," the sustainability strategy, officially adopted in September 2021, was developed. Participation, diversity, fairness, and impact are the core principles of the strategy development and our vision for a Sustainable University in Bochum.
To implement the strategy and translate the ideas of university members into the actual operations of the institution, the Round Table was established. This group consists of representatives from all departments, the student body, and the university leadership. In the future, a climate protection manager and a sustainability manager will also contribute to the Round Table's discussions and decisions.
- Representative of the General Students' Committee (AStA): Janis Uhlig
- Representative of the Department of Architecture: Prof Dr Volker Huckemann
- Representative of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering: Prof Dr Peter Hense
- Representative of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science: Prof Dr Oliver Stengel
- Representative of the Department of Geodesy: Prof Dr Dietmar Weigt
- Representative of the Department of Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering: Prof Dr Ulrich Zwiers
- Representative of the Department of Economics: Prof Dr Stephan Sommer
- Representative of the Executive Board: Prof. Dr Mi-Yong Becker, Vice President for Sustainability, Transfer & Entrepreneurship
- Climate Protection Manager: Miriam Trümper
- Sustainability Manager: Anna Skorka
- Janis Uhlig, representative of the General Students' Committee (AStA)
- Holger Röhrig, representative of the Staff Council for Academic Employees
- Andrea Brenner, representative of the staff council for technical and administrative employees
- Benjamin Thomas, representative of the severely disabled employees
- Regina Schrade, Equal Opportunities Officer
- Phillip Nachtigal, Head of Building and Property Management
- Prof Dr Jörg Probst - Representative of the Department of Architecture
- Prof Dr Peter Hense, representative of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Prof Dr Rolf Biesenbach, representative of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Prof Dr Dirk Eling, representative of the Department of Geodesy
- Prof Dr Jan-Paul Lindner, representative of the Department of Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering
- Prof Dr Thomas Skill, representative of the Department of Economics
- Lisa Kränke, representative of the Sustainable Development degree programmes
- Katrin Heymann, Senate Representative
- Thorsten Bordan, Representative of the HSBO Chancellor
- Prof Dr Andreas Wytzisk-Arens, President of the HSBO
- Prof Dr Mi-Yong Becker, Vice President Sustainability, Transfer & Entrepreneurship
"The steering group is structured in such a way that all areas and status groups of the university are represented in it. These individuals are naturally linked to their organisational units. The central idea is that they keep feeding back to the areas they come from and take the results of the steering group to the respective departments or divisions and institutions."
Lisa Kränke, Programme Coordinator of the Sustainability degree programmes at HSBO
"The project "Sustainable University - Strategy, Implementation, Networking" deals with the development of the sustainability strategy in a participatory process at Bochum University of Applied Sciences. It is essential here that the students are intensively involved in this process as part of their project study and develop and contribute important elements themselves. At the same time, decisions are made by the steering group, which is made up of members of the administration, the departments and the Executive Board."
Vice President Prof. Dr Mi-Yong Becker