Many personalities. Two campuses. One UAS_BO.

Exchange students welcome

Please see our FAQ about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on incoming exchange mobility here.


Nomination deadline:

  • Winter semester: 30.05.
  • Summer semester: 01.12.

If you are going to be an exchange student at our university and would like to spend one or two semesters within the framework of ERASMUS+ or with another cooperation agreement between Bochum University and your home university, please follow the steps below:

  1. Please contact your coordinator at your home university and talk to him about your plans for a semester abroad.
  2. Your home university will send us a nomination.
  3. As soon as we have received your nomination, we will contact you and send you all informations about the application process.


Application deadline:

  • Winter semester: 30.06.
  • Summer semester: 15.01.

The following documents, must be sent to the International Office of Bochum University of Applied Sciences before the end of the application deadline:

  • the application form, which you will receive from us after your nomination
  • Copy of your passport
  • Copy of the certificate of enrolment from your home university (alternatively copy of the student ID card)
  • applications from master students: copy of the bachelor's certificate  
  • language certificate: German B1/ English B1 (for Department of Business and Management, if ONLY courses taught in English will be selected). No specific certificate is required, confirmation from your home university would be also sufficient

Enrolment and health insurance
  •  In order to enrol at Bochum University of Applied Sciences, you must transfer the semester fee. The transfer information for payment will be sent to you by e-mail before your arrival.
  • A further condition for enrolment is the sufficient health insurance coverage. Here you can find the information regarding health insurance. Please read it carefully.

Visas and Residence Permit
  • EU citizens: no visa required
  • Non-EU citizens: You can find out whether a visa is required and how to apply at the Auswärtigen Amt (Federal Foreign Office). Important: You cannot study in Germany with a tourist visa! Please note: a tourist visa cannot be converted into a study visa either!
  • If you stay longer than three months as an exchange student, you will need to register with the city of Bochum. The International Office will arrange an appointment.
  • Approximately four weeks before your residence permit expires, you should apply for an extension at the relevant foreigners authority.