In addition to regular teaching, we hold events that serve both to promote cooperation with regional business, civil society, public institutions and as a place for exchange. Depending on the format, the focus is on exchange between students, contact with pupils or contact with experts from business and civil society.
Summer School Ruhr Region 2023
The time has come!
The Summer School Ruhrregion 2023 with a focus on Data Science & Machine Learning will be offered by AKIS in collaboration with the Traiber.NRW project. The program will include expert lectures, social events and a hackathon led by professors and PhD students from the institute and the project. The events will take place at the Velbert/Heiligenhaus campus from August 21 - September 01.
Lectures and workshops are planned on the following topics:
- Data visualization with matplotlib, seaborn & geopandas
- Live Dashboards
- Smart Production Application
- Automated Driving
- Machine learning with scikit-learn
- Neural Networks with TensorFlow
- Finished models of Hugging Face & Co
- Navigation with robots
- Automated driving in the model
For more details on the program and registration, see the menu below:
Who can participate?
All students in a Master's or Bachelor's program (of any discipline) with a solid knowledge of Python are invited!
> Click here to register
> If you have any questions, you can contact us at AKISemail@example.com!
Be aware: the event will be held 100% in german!
3rd MediaLib Workshop - Computational Thinking & Programming Education
The 3rd MediaLib Workshop - Computational Thinking & Programming Education will take place on June 20, 2023 at Bochum University of Applied Sciences from 13:00 to 17:30 in room B01-45b in collaboration with Professor Jörg Frochte.
The workshop is aimed at faculty and staff of BO and the University Alliance Ruhr who are looking for new and motivating ways to design their Python courses and inspire their students.
The workshop will take place exclusively as a face-to-face event in English.
The number of participants is limited and participants can register until June 10.
More information on the website medialib.club.
The AKIS Seminar takes place as an overarching course of AKIS. The seminar is intended as a place where different disciplines, as well as science and practice, meet for an intensive exchange of ideas. It is aimed at
- (Master) students of the five departments
- Members of the AKIS
- Interested guests from the university and beyond.
Master students have the option to have the seminar credited as an elective module (see below). Here you will soon find the poster of the current event.
Obs. The AKIS-Seminar will be paused during the summer term of 2023.
The seminar is held in cooperation with our partners, other technology companies, as well as the Graduate School for Applied Research in North Rhine-Westphalia and the Bergische Innovation Platform for Artificial Intelligence.
- 26.9 [BO D2-27] - Information meeting
- 17.10 [BO D2-27] - Prof. Dr.-Ing Christian Bockermann - Machine Learning Methods: Which methods are available in ML and which problems can be solved with them?
- 24.10 [BO D2-27] - Kai Lichtenberg, Head of Industrial Solutions at Codecentrig AG - AI examples of the company Codecentric AG
- 7.11 [BO C0-18] - Dr. rer. nat. Peter Zinn, Managing Partner at Industrial Analytics Lab GmbH - Big Data! Big Money?
- 21.11 CVH - Cancelled
- 5.12 [BO D2-27] - Prof. Dr.-Ing Daniel Schilberg - Machine Learning for Edge Devices
- 19.12 [BO D2-27] - Stephan Poßberg, Vallourec - Industry 4.0 and AI Applications in the Steel Industry
- 16.01.23 [BO D2-27] - PhD Seminar - Basile Tousside & Janis Mohr - Continual Learning
The seminar is not included in all schedules of the Master's programs, but takes place on Mondays from 16:00 to 17:30 at the Bochum location or in rare cases at the Heiligenhaus location.
Register now in Moodle: https://moodle.hs-bochum.de/course/view.php?id=5163
During the seminar, various experts from research and industry will give presentations on topics from the fields of AI, machine learning, data science and their applications. Here you will certainly encounter interesting impulses to delve deeper into individual topics yourself.
If you want to pursue a topic individually, the AKIS seminar plus the corresponding term paper or practical work can be credited in many courses of study at Bochum University of Applied Sciences and Ruhr Master School in the course of study. For this purpose, you regularly participate in the seminar and, following the series of lectures, continue to delve into individual topics under the supervision of a lecturer.
For students of the Bochum University of Applied Sciences, credit can be awarded either through elements of the course or through the Ruhr Master School.
The study programs of the CVH:
- Master Computer Engineering ( FB E )
- Master Mechatronics & Product Development ( FB E )
for example, can take the subject directly. The following study programs can take the subject via the Ruhr Master School:
- Master Mechatronics ( FB M )
- Master Mechanical Engineering ( FB M )
- Master Geoinformatics ( FB G )
- Master Computer Science ( FB E )
- Master International Management ( FB W )
Contact persons for questions regarding credit transfer in the study programs or the Ruhr Master School are:
- for the Master's program of the department of electrical engineering and computer science at the Heiligenhaus Campus and within the framework of the Ruhr Master School:Prof. Frochte
- for the Master's program of the department of electrical engineering and computer science at the Campus Bochum: Professors Blunk and Müller-Schneiders
- to the Master's program of the department of geodesy: Prof. Wytzisk-Arens
- to the Master's program of the department of mechatronics and mechanical engineering: Prof. Schilberg
- to the Master's program of the department of civil and environmental engineering: Prof. Mudersbach
- to the Master's program of the department of economics: Professors Bockermann and Merchiers
CARLA simulator for autonomous driving
On 30.03.2022 (at the Campus Velbert/Heiligenhaus in the PC-Pool 2.53) and on 23.08.2022 (at the Westfälische Hochschule in Gelsenkirchen) Mr. Basile Tousside conducted workshops on the Carla Simulator.
The RMS SUMMER SCHOOL 2022 took place from 15.08 to 26.08.2022 at the campus of the Westfälische Hochschule in Gelsenkirchen with the topic "Regional Sustainability: Smart Mobility".
On 23.08.2022 Mr. Basile Tousside conducted the workshop "Simulation of Autonomous Vehicles with CARLA and Python" in collaboration with Prof. Stephan Weyers of Dortmund University of Applied Sciences.
Womengineer + AKIS
Artificial Intelligence - Opportunities and Risks
A joint event by Womengineer and AKIS Ruhr
Why is "Alexa" actually not called "Alex"?
How can the use of AI be designed in such a way that existing injustices with regard to gender, origin or language are not perpetuated?
How can the opportunities of AI be maximized and the risks minimized?
In which areas is AI already being used so successfully that lives are being saved, and why is programming such a highly sensitive topic?
These and other questions were explored by AI experts Dr. Susanne Rosenthal from Cologne University of Applied Sciences and Prof.'in Dr. Katharina Morik from TU Dortmund University in their presentations.
The event "Artificial Intelligence - Opportunities and Risks" took place on June 23rd, 2022.
The complete report on the event can be found here.